Ryan Melohn is co-founder and chief operating officer for Expansion VC. In addition Mr. Melohn is vice-president and property manager for the Expansion Group Inc. , a real estate corporation with holdings in both residential and commercial sectors.
As chief facilitator for Expansion VC, Mr. Melohn has been responsible for successfully pairing potential entrepreneurs/companies with ideal investments. Ryan’s networking throughout the venture capital and corporate worlds, have proven extremely valuable to EVC. His portfolio includes but is not limited to Postmates, RelayRides, AngelList, Life360, Firebase, TheRealReal, Enigma.io, Compstak, Engrade and eShares among many others.
Expansion VC is an early stage venture capital firm, based in NYC founded by brothers Joseph and Ryan Melohn. Our focus is on Pre-Seed, Seed, and select Series A rounds. With over 100+ investments to date, we invest early in great and passionate entrepreneurs. With a sector agnostic investment approach, our current portfolio investments include- Postmates, Turo, Carta, Lemonade, RealReal, AllBirds + many more.
• Team – We invest in people andso the ability to execute is imperative
• Sector - Are we excited by the opportunity and can we add value
• Market – How large is the TAM / can this be a billion dollar company
• Opportunity – Is this a need vs a want? Is it better than what currently exists? Is it cheaper price point?
• Traction – to atleast have some minimal traction/customers. Can this be repeatable by pouring fuel by the fire
• Terms – reasonable valuation and round dynamics.
We love to work for our money and pride ourselves on being there for our founders 24/7. Helping with anything from building a deck and financial modeling, to strategy, bizdev, customer acquisition, sourcing talent, and fundraising.
Know the ins and out of your market and your most up to date financial numbers
Treat everyone with respect and kindess, good karma goes a long way. Every entrepreneur has the ability to change the world, treat them as if they already have!
The ecosystem is vibrant, diverse, and growing faster then ever. As the financial capital of the world, NYC is primed to continue on this path of growth!